Tuesday 5 July 2011

Farewell to The Apple


 
I sneak into Starbucks to use their Wi Fi and hello…there is another weirdo there. He is keeping us all entertained with profanities flying and it sounds like he is on a Skype call but he is not…even though he has a computer in front of him but he is almost shouting. The rest of us “normal “are smirking between ourselves.
Today I take a bus ride to the West side…it is so nice knowing where you are going and how. I want to take a look at the The High Line, a onetime rail line that is now a public promenade that offers views of the Hudson River, the Manhattan skyline and the gardens that adorn this structure. The High Line is a public park built on a 1.45-mile-long elevated rail structure .The freight rail line was in operation from 1934 to 1980. It carried meat to the meatpacking district, agricultural goods to the factories and warehouses of the industrial West Side, and mail to the Post Office. It really is a beautiful part of New York…but there are so many in amongst this bustling busy city.

I visit the wonderful Chelsea markets that are housed in at the National Biscuit Company complex. The factory begun in the 1890's in what is now west Chelsea and the ovens baked everything from Saltines to Oreos. Those ovens went cold a half century ago, when the company moved out, but newer ovens have been working over the last decade in part of the old complex. It is now foodie’s heaven and I partake in some wonderful fresh raspberries and blackberries.

From here find my way via subway to Greenwich Village which breaks out of the strict gridlines that form most of New York’s streets. It is renowned for its artists, musicians and writers and part of its charm is the bohemian vibe the village exudes.
I walk past the narrowest home in NY an architectural oddity at less than 10ft wide and is labelled as number 75 ½.











Number 90 Bedford it is the “Friends “Apartment Building. The show wasn’t filmed here but the exterior of the building was used in setting shots.




I return to the hotel to give myself time to repack my bag ready for a 2.35am pick up. Yuk. On my way I spy a bar just around the corner from my hotel offering $6 cocktails and free Wi Fi.
That’s where I am now toasting a farewell to New York…I love this place it has just got something about it….

What is there not to like?

 Cheers New York!











No comments:

Post a Comment